If you enjoy what you read here you will also enjoy my novel
21 days in May
Please be aware this blog may be considered Illegal almost anywhere!

A Tot Of Our Father

I have no real idea when I reclaimed my atheism. It was young, maybe 6 or 7. I started noticing some things the grown ups were saying, didn't make sense. I felt silly doing prayers and hymns and pretending like everybody else was.
After a conversation about our respective childhood religious indoctrinations with @CMS11163 I started remembering something that, over half a dozen childhood years, had become a kind of mantra of a tot's defiance - an array of unasked queries about the Lord’s Prayer. A mantra which occupied my head whilst I was forced to speak the expected nonsense to everyone’s favourite invisible friend on the weekly let’s pretend day for ‘grown ups’.
It didn’t seem unusual that the grown ups had a ‘dressing up and pretending day’, we had them in nursery and primary school all the time. They had been fun but, by the age of 8, I thought myself much too grown up for such silly games. I didn’t begrudge those who were still wanting to pretend, it was kind of fun but I just didn’t want any part of that ‘This is just being silly’ feeling that I got every time I prayed.


The Lord’s Prayer
( My Lord’s Prayer Thoughts )

Our Father, which art in heaven,
( He's not my Dad! Dad's my Dad! How do they know he does drawings in heaven? Wherever that is! )
hallowed be thy name;
( Rubbish name hallowed! )
thy kingdom come;
( Why do they say we go to heaven then? )
thy will be done,
( Who will do him? He’s not very great if someone can do him! )
on earth as it is in heaven.
( It’s the same in heaven as here! That’s pants! )
Give us this day our daily bread.
( Don’t like bread, hate crusts! )
And forgive us our trespasses,
( Eh? Is trespass an old word for wee’d your trousers? )
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
( I wouldn’t forgive someone who wee’d on my trousers? )
And lead us not into temptation;
( Why would he do that? That would be a dirty trick! )
but deliver us from evil.
( When did Satan post us and why were we in hell? )
For thine is the kingdom,
( I thought it was called heaven! Where’s 'Thine' now? )
the power, and the glory,
( What? What’s that about? )
for ever and ever.
( Eh? Isn’t ‘for ever’ & ‘ever’ the same? Is the second one really needed? )
Amen.
( Ahh Men? A man? An men? Eh? What about Awomen? ) 

I guess that's where the Too Many Questions started!


This is one of the Too Many Questions

PEACE   
Crispy

Please leave a comment - Anything will do
The best communications are often,
THREE WORDS OR LESS
OR ONE OR MORE FINGERS!

Back to the Core TMQ"



Share

If you enjoy what you read here
you will also enjoy my novel
21 days in May


Please be aware this blog may be considered Illegal almost anywhere!

Get TMQ on your Kindle

Copyright Crispy Sea

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

All blog posts copyright http://atheist.diatribes.co.uk

TMQCrispySea 2009-2014